Earth day has been happening since April 22, 1970 and the tradition continues to this day. Earth Day's mission is to diversify, educate, and activate the environmental movement world wide. Cincinnati Bell takes an active role in improving our earth not just on Earth Day but everyday through the fiber that is essential to our business, Cincinnati Bell Energy, and our Cincinnati Bell Electronic Recycling Event happening April 19th, 20th, and 22nd (more details below).
Fiber with a Touch of Green
Cincinnati Bell is known for our use of fiber-optics but did you know that fiber has a touch of green? Fiber is more eco-friendly compared to traditional copper wire and coaxial cable networks because fiber is more energy efficient and requires less raw materials.
A beam of light over a single fiber carries far more data per specific length or cable than older technologies. And the light signal over fiber requires less medium power and equipment amplification than an electrical signal over copper wire. In return, we save energy and other costs associated with manufacturing, delivering, and installing the equipment. Mining two kilograms of copper wire (roughly the amount needed for a 200-foot copper cable) translates into 1,000 kilograms of environmental impact. When you considering that same length of fiber requires about .06 kilograms of environmental impact, the benefits of a fiber network are clear.
Cincinnati Bell Energy
We also have Cincinnati Bell Energy, which saves our customers money and allows them to do something better for our environment. When our customers select Cincinnati Bell Energy, they can feel good that all of their electricity is being supplied by 100% wind power. This service is available for ALL current and future Cincinnati Bell customers who live in Ohio and are using Duke Energy as their utility company. Not only does it feel good to be green, it also feels good to save green. When you switch to Cincinnati Bell Energy, you will save 10% on the supply portion of your bill – guaranteed for 12 months. Learn more about Cincinnati Bell Energy!
The Go Green Initiative
We have even started our own Employee Resource Group dedicated to a Go Green Initiative. The mission of The Go Green Initiative is to connect those who have a passion for environmental issues and who want to share various sustainability practices with others in the workplace and the community. We're committed to not only giving back to the community through various sustainability practices, but providing on-going education and support where environmental issues are concerned, creating a better environment for future generations. Cincinnati Bell and our CBGGI Employee Resource Group are proud to announce our upcoming Earth Day event: Cincinnati Bell Electronic Recycling Event!
7 Ways to be Eco-Friendly this Earth Day
So the question is: How do you go green this Earth Day? Here are some easy ways you can be more eco-friendly in your own home.
- Nest Learning Thermostat – When your home has a Nest Learning Thermostat, the thermostat will build a schedule by learning each time you adjust the temperature. It never stops learning, so you can teach it good habits to help save energy. It can also automatically switch to Eco Temperatures after it senses that no one is home to help you save energy. Plus, it can help you save an average of 10% to 12% on heating and 15% on cooling on your energy bill.
- Unplug everything – One easy way to reduce your carbon footprint, is to stop leaving your electricals on standby taking up useless energy.
- Avoid one use plastics – Try to avoid using one use plastics. The switch might be as simple as using a canvas bag when you go shopping or stop buying bottle water. Stick with a reusable water bottle!
- Consider composting – Composting is a great way to reduce the amount of waste going to landfills, plus it creates a perfect natural fertilizer.
- Use LED light bulbs – LED light bulbs are more efficient and last longer than conventional bulbs. With LED lights, you use less power and don’t have to replace your bulbs as frequently. It’s a win-win situation.
- Buy Local – It may seem simple enough, but buy locally. The closer to home you buy products, the less carbon is created with transportation. Not only that, you will also be supporting the local economy and supporting your home town.
- Participate in the Cincinnati Bell Electronic Recycling Event - In celebrating Earth Day, Cincinnati Bell will be collecting unwanted electronics such as old cell phones, laptops, flat screen TV’s, and more at all of our retail stores excluding our downtown location of Atrium II on April 19th, 20th, and 22nd. (Stores will be closed on Easter Sunday). For more information about the event and the items that will be accepted, check out our Cincinnati Bell Electronics Recycling Event.
For more information about the event and the items that will be accepted, click the link below.